Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Whole 30 - Days 0-3



Day 0 - I am glad I committed to this! I am already feeling better just from keeping gluten free the last few days, I know this will help me feel spectacular. I can do this! I went shopping today at Natural Grocers and some other errands with a couple girl friends. While out I mentioned that I was planning to do a Whole 30 during the month of August and one of the girls said she would love to join me! The other offered to help me with food prep if I wanted, we could just hang out and cook. I was not expecting local support, I figured I would be looking mostly for support online. Now I have both!

After hitting up the grocery store I came home and got straight to work on prepping food. I caramelized onions to go in casseroles, with browned ground beef and in meat balls. I baked a spaghetti squash for my egg casseroles and to have with meat for a quick meal. I sauteed zucchini. I got meat out to thaw. I chopped mushrooms. I made two egg casseroles. One savory: with onion, leek, bacon, spinach, potato and spaghetti squash. One sweet: with apples, walnuts, cinnamon and spaghetti squash.

I didn't get done until almost 10 at night, when I crashed in my bed. Overheated in my un-air conditioned house. Phew!




Day 1 - Had a quarter of the savory egg casserole I made last night as my breakfast. Washed it down with the last of my no-sugar added fruit smoothie (even in the Whole 30 book this was a grey area, so I'm considering it okay since it had not added sweetener, just pureed whole fruit). Seared a chicken breast to have with spaghetti squash for lunch at work. Got to work and almost started making coffee for myself, as is my habit, and then remembered, "Amy, you can't have sugar and heavy cream - or even stevia and heavy cream this month. You will have to drink your coffee black. Blech!" So I went and filled up my water bottle instead.

Eating my chicken and spaghetti squash, listening to the "Balanced Bites" podcast at lunch Diane and Liz (because I'm totes on a first name basis with them) start talking about desserts. And instantly I am craving my paleo bacon brownies (a recipe I really need to make again and share - after my Whole 30 - because they are, seriously, the best brownies I've ever had. Period.) ... "Amy, this is just 30 days. You can do anything for 30 days. You need this to be disciplined about being disciplined and to re-establish your paleo lifestyle for good. Later, when paleo seems easy again, instead of a chore then you can make and truly enjoy some paleo brownies." After lunch I felt full and satisfied, but also tired. Why are siestas not a thing in America? And can I use my being half-Mexican as an excuse? "I'm sorry boss, but I'm half-Mexican and I have a genetic condition where I need to take naps in the afternoon." In lieu of a nap, or hitting the chocolate stash (my usual pick-me-up), I had a fruit and nut bar. Hit the spot. Stayed paleo.

Day 2 - Last night was rough. I had such a headache I had to take a baby aspirin and ibuprofen to finally get to sleep. Had brunch today with the apple and spaghetti squash egg casserole I made on Friday night. It was alright, I'll finish it, but probably won't share the recipe. It needed some heavy cream, vanilla and at least bit of stevia if not maple syrup to really make it. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to eating savory things for next 28 days.

My stomach started hurting a bit when I got to work. I hope I don't end up with terrible die-off symptoms from whatever is currently populating my insides. Even if said organisms really do need the "nuclear option".

Day 3 - Feeling better all day today, though it may just be because I spend most of the day reading and relaxing and not doing much of anything at all since I had most of the day off after working the weekend. So far, so paleo. I had more of my savory egg casserole for breakfast and made some mushroom and onion meatloaf to have for dinners and lunches the rest of the week. Around 3 I was craving something a little sweet so I had some blueberries and added some chicharones to help balance out my snack.

I ended up getting more spaghetti squash and uncured bacon for later in the week, because I am going through that stuff like crazy. I just love spaghetti squash! (#thingsIneverthoughtIwouldsay). Tomorrow will be my first real test because I will have to eat lunch at work and then Tuesday nights are burger nights after Bible study usually. More often than not I get my burger with no bun anyway, but I usually include cheese and regular fries. This time I think I'm going to go for a no bun burger but add avocado, bacon and caramelized onions with a side salad or sweet potato. Or maybe just regular fries without the tomato flavored high fructose corn syrup ketchup. (Fries are not a "food with no breaks" for me, I basically only even eat fries on our every other week burger nights, and usually even leave some on my plate).


So here is the recipe for my savory egg casserole:

1/3 spaghetti squash (about 1 cup)
1/2 small red potato, grated
1 leek
1 yellow onion, sauteed or caramelized in ghee (or fat of your choice)
1/4 cup spinach, chopped
3 slices uncured bacon (unless you're not Whole 30-ing, then just use good bacon)
4 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Bake at 350 until cooked through - depending on your dish (ie - muffins versus pie tin versus loaf pan) this may take 30-45 minutes. Sorry I didn't get a good picture of it though. :(




No comments:

Post a Comment