Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Amy's Almost-Edible Pit Paste



Part of this paleo journey I'm taking is minimizing my exposure to potentially harmful chemicals. While I still wear a conventional antiperspirant sometimes (like for Murph or a long hike with friends), I am moving towards all-natural deodorants for every day use. I tried some brand names, like Tom's of Maine and Jason's and found that, for me, they didn't succeed in deodorizing. After a few weeks of use my pits smelled garlicky or skunky, or both, in any case - not an attractive odor.

Then I tried making my own. Through some trial and error I came to the following recipe:

3 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. avocado oil
1/2 cup corn starch or tapioca starch
3 tbsp. zinc oxide powder (I just used store bought talc-free baby powder)
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tsp. witch hazel
A few drops of the essential oil of your choice (I used grapefruit - I like the fresh citrus smell)

Melt the coconut oil first then mix in the other oils (avocado and essential oil). Then add the dry ingredients gradually mixing well until you get a smooth paste. As the coconut oil cools it will become more solid, the avocado oil will keep it at consistency that is spreadable (plus avocado oil is great for your skin). I just spread a dollop (probably about a tsp.) under my arms in the morning and it keeps me fresh all day - even when I walk to work in 90+ degree weather. A note for those with very sensitive skin: you can leave out the essential oil (fragrance) and/or baking soda. I found the baking soda to be a bit abrasive, so I don't put much in, but you may want to avoid it altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment